I was 4 years old and my parents were going out for the evening. My aunt was coming to babysit me and my baby brother. I was so excited as she always played dolly games with me and let me stay up a bit later then my parents allowed.
My aunt arrived with her friend and my parents left soon after.I sat for a while playing with my toys and watching my aunt and her friend applying make-up and getting their clothes ready, they both were going to a nite-club when my parents got home.
As they was busy doing each others hair I was told to sit quietly and watch TV, looking at the TV screen out of the corner of my eye I saw the door starting to open I thought my parents were home and I jumped off the sofa and went towards the door, as I got closer a hand came around the inside wearing a black leather glove and I loudly asked who are you to the lady standing there. My aunt asked me what I was doing , I replied asking the lady who is she? The look of horror that came over my aunts face I can still remember to this present day.
I was told that on one was there and that I was to stop scaring her or I would have to go to bed.
When I looked back towards where the lady was standing she had gone. My aunt told me to put my coat and shoes on,she was in a panic getting my baby brother sorted putting him in his pram. I did not know what was happening and asked where are we going? she told me we had to go to the neighbours house until my parents got home.
It seemed like waiting forever that night,but I enjoyed being at my neighbours all the same as I was allowed to play with their toys. When my parents finally arrived, we went back to our home, and they sat me down and asked me why I made up such a story? It wasn't a story I replied, there was a lady with black leather gloves and my aunt must have seen her too? My mother hated stories like this and she told me I had a great imagination and that it had to stop.
The next morning My mother told me that a priest was going to call and ask me some questions and bless the house , I didn't understand but I accepted it all the same. He arrived later that day and asked me about the lady I saw and that if I was telling lies? My reply to that was no it is not lies and why would I lie? He said no more and told me I wasn't to be scared even If others acted in this way, that sometimes God gives us gifts and other might not understand.
Being only 4 years old I didn't think any more about it and went off back playing with my toys while my mother spoke with the priest.
It wasn't until many years later when I was in my 20's after my father was taken into hospital after suffering a heart attack I found out who this lady was. While I was visiting him one day he mentioned the time when I saw the lady with the black leather gloves.I recalled that night and he told me the lady was my grandmother and she was buried wearing them. He said he didn't want to encourage me and that he knew stories like this frightened my mother.